Brand and Exclusive Role – Underwriting Coach (SME New Business)
Are you an underwriting coach or a senior commercial insurance underwriter looking for a new, exciting and rewarding challenge?
Do you have a track record of working at a senior level within the SME commercial insurance marketplace?
Have you a track record of underwriting commercial insurance risks including property, motor, EL, PL, commercial combined, etc?
I am looking for a senior underwriter/coach to join the new business team of this global insurer, based in Glasgow. You will be focused on coaching new business underwriters, ensuring delivery of financial targets by encouraging and driving exceptional performance.
- As a senior underwriting coach in SME, you’ll deliver on trading team targets through profitable underwriting of commercial risks within agreed authority levels whilst developing key broker relationships in line with business objectives.
- It demands a high level of influence on the underwriting team, increasing the ability to collaborate with a range of stakeholders and developing the technical and trading capability.
- The role encompasses many opportunities to contribute to the development and success of the team, not just from a growth and profitability perspective but driving service excellence to customers.
- Ensuring close collaboration is supported internally across the teams will continue to be an important focus area, as this will enable the team to be set up for success, by engaging and building key relationships with the brokers and stakeholders.
- Coach, train and develop underwriters to continually improve their technical and trading capability, and delivering the financial targets of the SME business
- Be the referral point for underwriters, coaching underwriters to make decisions within their empowerment and providing technical and trading input to improve the quality of underwriting decisions
- Delivery of planned underwriting result for designated accounts through proactive account review, analysis of underwriting trends and improvement plans implemented to improve profitability
- Manage underwriting relationships with key brokers from designated accounts to deliver profitable growth
- Actively manage and review underwriting standards and licences within the team ensuring effective management and deployment of empowerment
- Support trading team manager to effectively manage the service provided to brokers and input to the performance management of Underwriters
- Audit & Governance- maintain and monitor an effective control environment compliant with all regulatory & relevant control standards
- Coaching and development skills within in a similar environment and experience of working in teams and successful record of delivering results
- Progress towards Dip CII qualification desirable or equivalent experience
- Technical underwriting expertise in a commercial insurance environment
- Sound understanding of insurance market and processes across commercial lines insurance operations
- Excellent interpersonal skills, through written and verbal communication skills
- Proven experience in decision making on a wide range of technical underwriting scenarios within a commercial environment
- Strong trading capability – commercial awareness, negotiation skills, ability to build strong broker relationships
- Pragmatic decision maker with good analytical and numerical reasoning skills
- Strong analytical skills with proven experience of account monitoring and action planning
- Excellent risk assessment and risk management skills
- Competitive salary, dependent on experience
- Annual company & performance-based bonus
- Contributory pension scheme (up to 12% employer contributions)
- Life Assurance (up to 10 x annual salary)
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Opportunity to buy up to 5 extra days leave or sell up to 5 days leave
- Employee discounts
- Hybrid working model
- Gym benefits